Dr John Joss Chinn BSc, MSc, PhD, MBCS
(For access to my list of Publications you can skip the Biography and scroll to the bottom of this page).
John was born in Redruth, Cornwall and attended Roskear and Basset Road schools. One of my fondest earliest memories is sitting out in the playing fields at the back of Roskear Infants school making daisy chains with friends. Now, sadly, the playing fields have been built over to extend the school. Basset Road Junior School, fortunately, seems to have since been demolished.
We moved to Plymouth when I was seven. I attended St Marys Primary School and Plympton Secondary School. I did an apprenticeship at Tecalemit Engineering Limited as a Tool and injection moulding die maker. Then I worked as a Sales Engineer for A. E. Edmunds Walker. Actually I also worked as a Milkman for about a year and even tried selling vending machines for Autobar Vending.
Moved to Cheltenham when I was 23. Wonderful friendly atmospheric town and not too big. Worked for Telehoist and Stewart and Allan Sheet Metal for the six years I was in Cheltenham. Also attended Gloucestershire College of Art and Technology to get a load of O and A levels during the evenings (when I wasn’t in the Cotswolds Inn). Actually the Cotswolds Inn used to be a mid-terraced building and looks like it only just managed to get missed by a new road building scheme. This is very typical of my life so far as both the Tecalemit factory in Marsh Mills Plymouth and the Telehoist Factory in Cheltenham got bulldozed (as did Basset Road Junior School, of course).
Attended the City of London Polytechnic from 1985. Got a first in Maths and Applied Physics. Some of the best years of my life, thoroughly enjoyed it. Worked as a motorbike courier one summer and as a sheetmetal worker for the final summer.
Took a Masters in Applied Mathematics at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. Then, after a period working as a sheet metal worker (again!), worked as a Production Manager for Hunter Instruments in Washington, Tyne and Wear.
Moved to Manchester to take a PhD in Fluid Dynamics and in particular Sprays, at UMIST in 1991, under Prof Andrew Yule. Subsequently worked as a Research Associate for several years. Then as a Lecturer at Stockport College, teaching Fluid dynamics, Maths and Computer Programming to HNC and part-time day-release Degree Students.
Worked as a Senior Computer Officer and Honorary Lecturer at the University of Manchester until November 2015.
Married Tasha in 2001 and have a daughter, Pippa aged 12 and a son Rowan, aged 6. Have lived in Sunny Stoke-on-Trent ever since.
Have also been a committee member of the Birmingham branch of the BCS since 2005. Started as Webmaster then Vice Chairman then Secretary.
Worked as a School Governor at the Willows Primary for four years ending up as Vice Chairman. and I was also the Parent Governor Representative to the Children and Young People’s Overview and Scrutiny Committee at the Stoke Town Council for three of those years.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- BSc, (Hons), Mathematics and Physics. City of London Polytechnic, 1988. CHINN_BSc_PROJECT.pdf
- MSc, Engineering Mathematics. University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 1989. CHINN_MSc_DISSERTATION2.pdf
- PhD, The Internal Flow Physics of Swirl Atomizer Nozzles, UMIST, 1996. CHINN_PHD_Pt1.pdf, CHINN_PHD_Pt2.pdf
- Member of the British Computer Society (MBCS)
- Stationary Rotary Force Waves on the Liquid–Air core Interface of a Swirl Atomizer. Heat and Mass Transfer. October 2016, Volume 52, Issue 10, pp 2037–2050. J. J. Chinn, D. Cooper, A. J. Yule and G. G. Nasr.
- Errata for Stationary Rotary Force Waves on the Liquid–Air core Interface of a Swirl Atomizer. Heat and Mass Transfer. October 2016, Volume 52, Issue 10, pp 2037–2050. J. J. Chinn, D. Cooper, A. J. Yule and G. G. Nasr.
- Supplementary Material for Stationary Rotary Force Waves on the Liquid–Air core Interface of a Swirl Atomizer. Heat and Mass Transfer. October 2016, Volume 52, Issue 10, pp 2037–2050. J. J. Chinn, D. Cooper, A. J. Yule and G. G. Nasr.
- The Numerics of the Swirl Atomizer. Proc. ILASS 2008. Session 1. Paper 16. Como, Italy. J. J. Chinn.
- An Appraisal of Swirl Atomizer Inviscid Internal Flow Analysis, Part 1: The Principle of Maximum Flow for a Swirl Atomizer and its Use in the Exposition and Comparison of Early Flow Analyses. Journal of Atomization and Sprays. Vol. 19. No. 3. 2009. pp 263-282. J. J. Chinn.
- An Appraisal of Swirl Atomizer Inviscid Internal Flow Analysis, Part 2: A Comparison of Inviscid Methods with Experimental Results for Discharge Coefficient, Air Core Radius and Spray Cone Angle. Journal of Atomization and Sprays. Vol. 19. No. 3. 2009. pp 283-308. J. J. Chinn.
- Dimensional Analysis and the Buckingham-Π Theorem Applied to the Inviscid Swirl Atomizer Governing Equations. Proc. ILASS
2007. Mugla, Turkey. J. J. Chinn.
- A Comparison Of Analytically And Experimentally Determined Wave Parameters On The Liquid Interface Of The Aircore Of A Swirl Atomiser. Proc. ILASS 2004. Nottingham England. J. J. Chinn.
- The Analogy between Swirl Atomizer and Weir Flow: The Principle of Maximum Flow. Proc. ICLASS 2003.Sorrento Italy. J. J. Chinn.
- The Analogy between Waves on the Surface of the Air-core of a Swirl Atomizer and Long, Shallow Water, Gravity Waves. Proc. ICLASS 2003. Sorrento Italy. J. J. Chinn.
- Experimental Measurements and Computational Predictions of the Internal Flow Field in a Pressure Swirl Atomizer. Proc. ILASS-Europe’99, Toulouse, France. Cooper, D., Yule, A.J. and Chinn, J.J.
- Computational Analysis of Swirl Atomizer Internal Flow. Proc. ICLASS 1997. Seoul, Korea. John J. Chinn and Andrew J. Yule.
- Pressure Swirl Atomizer Internal Flow. ILASS-Europe’97. Florence, Italy. Andrew J. Yule and John J. Chinn.
- Pressure Swirl Atomizer Internal Flow and Performance. Proc. ILASS-Americas‘97, Ottawa, Canada. Yule A.J. and Chinn,
- Swirl Atomizer Internal Flow: A Computational and Experimental Study. Proc. ILASS-Europe’96. Lund, Sweden. J. J. Chinn, A. J. Yule and J. K. DeKeukelaere.
- Three Dimensional Computer Modelling of the Internal Flow within a Swirl Atomizer. Proc. ILASS’95. Nürnberg, Germany. John Joss Chinn and Andrew John Yule.
- Swirl Atomizer Flow: Classical Inviscid Theory Revisited. Proc. ICLASS 1994. Rouen, France. John J. Chinn and Andrew J. Yule.
- Most of my research work has been for industry which cannot be published. This included three years sub-contract research for Glaxo-Welcome, Smith Kline Beecham, working on a new design asthmatic inhaler; several months working for Esso; consultancy work for Spraying Systems in Sheffield; also telephone and email support to MANY people from both industry and academia who have learnt of my work, and who wanted to consult me on various technical problems/applications concerning swirl atomizers.